September 7, 2023 by Marjorie R. Rogers, MA (English), Certified Consultant
To clean a whirlpool dishwasher, remove and soak the racks and wipe down the interior with soapy water and a soft cloth. Keeping your whirlpool dishwasher clean is crucial to prevent food and grime buildup that can lead to foul odors or clogged drains.
Regularly wiping the interior with a damp cloth and checking the filters for debris is essential, but sometimes deeper cleaning is needed. Luckily, cleaning your whirlpool dishwasher is a straightforward process that can be completed with household cleaning supplies. In this article, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to clean your whirlpool dishwasher and keep it running efficiently.
Understanding The Importance Of Regular Cleaning
As a proud owner of a whirlpool dishwasher, you know how much it has made your life easier and more convenient. But have you ever thought about the importance of regular cleaning? Regular cleaning is an essential part of keeping your dishwasher running efficiently and maintaining its longevity.
Why Is It Important To Clean Your Whirlpool Dishwasher?
Regular cleaning of your whirlpool dishwasher has various benefits, including:
- Eliminates tough stains: Food residue and mineral deposits can leave tough stains on your dishwasher, which regular cleaning can help remove.
- Improves dishwasher efficiency: By removing residue, cleaning your dishwasher can improve its performance and reduce water and energy consumption.
- Prevents bad odors: A dirty dishwasher can lead to unpleasant odors. Regular cleaning can prevent these odors from occurring and keep your dishwasher smelling fresh.
- Maintains dishwasher lifespan: By keeping your dishwasher clean, you can extend its lifespan, saving you money in the long run.
What Happens If You Do Not Clean Your Whirlpool Dishwasher Regularly?
If you neglect to clean your whirlpool dishwasher regularly, you may experience the following problems:
- Clogs: Food particles can accumulate and clog your dishwasher’s spray arms and filters. This can result in poor cleaning performance.
- Buildup of residue: Mineral buildup can cause your dishwasher to leave residue on your dishes. This can be especially problematic with glassware.
- Malfunctioning components: Dirt, grime, and food particles can damage your dishwasher’s components, such as the heating element and pump, leading to costly repairs.
- Foul smells: A dirty dishwasher can produce foul smells and affect the freshness of your dishes.
Regular cleaning of your whirlpool dishwasher is crucial for maintaining its functionality, efficiency, and longevity. By taking good care of your dishwasher, you can ensure that it continues to provide the convenience you have grown to love.
Steps To Clean A Whirlpool Dishwasher
Materials Required For The Cleaning Process
Before starting the cleaning process, ensure that you have the following materials:
- Dish soap
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Soft-bristled brush
- Microfiber cloth
How To Clean The Interior Of A Whirlpool Dishwasher
Step 1: Remove Dish Racks
The first step is to remove the dish racks from the dishwasher. This allows for easy access to the various cleaning areas in the interior.
Step 2: Clean The Filters
The filters are the ones responsible for trapping food particles and debris during the wash cycle. Over time, these filters can become clogged, causing poor washing performance.
To clean the filters, remove them from the dishwasher and soak them in hot water and dish soap for about 10-15 minutes. Rinse them thoroughly and use a toothpick to remove any remaining debris.
Step 3: Clean The Spray Arms
The spray arms are responsible for spraying water onto the dishes during the wash cycle. Sometimes, food particles can become trapped in them, causing blockages.
To clean the spray arms, remove them from the dishwasher and gently wash them with a soft-bristled brush. Ensure that you remove any debris lodged inside the spray arm.
Step 4: Clean The Interior Walls And Door
The interior walls and door of the dishwasher can accumulate grease, grime, and food particles. To clean them, create a paste using baking soda and water and apply it to the interior walls and door. Leave it for about 15-20 minutes before wiping it clean with a microfiber cloth.
How To Clean The Exterior Of A Whirlpool Dishwasher
Step 1: Clean The Door
The door of the dishwasher can accumulate fingerprints, smudges, and dirt. To clean it, wipe the door with a microfiber cloth soaked in warm, soapy water.
Step 2: Clean The Control Panel
The control panel can also accumulate dirt and grime. Use a soft, damp microfiber cloth to wipe the control panel gently.
Step 3: Clean The Top And Sides
The top and sides of the dishwasher can accumulate dust and dirt. Use a damp cloth to wipe them down thoroughly.
Best Practices For Maintaining A Clean Whirlpool Dishwasher
- Run the dishwasher regularly to prevent food particles and debris from accumulating.
- Scrape excess food debris from dishes before loading them into the dishwasher.
- Use a rinse aid to help prevent water spots on dishes and the interior of the dishwasher.
- Check and clean the filters and spray arms regularly.
- Wipe down the exterior of the dishwasher regularly.
By following these steps and best practices, you can maintain a clean and efficient whirlpool dishwasher, ensuring that it lasts for years to come.
Natural Alternatives To Chemical Cleaners
Reasons To Avoid Chemical Cleaners
Chemical cleaners are effective but can be harsh on the surface of your whirlpool dishwasher. Here are some reasons to avoid chemical cleaners:
- They can damage the interior of your dishwasher and cause leaks.
- They can be harmful to you and the environment.
- They can be expensive and not always necessary.
- They can leave a residue that can affect the taste of your dishes.
Vinegar As A Cleanser For Your Whirlpool Dishwasher
Vinegar is a natural and effective cleaner that can be used to clean your whirlpool dishwasher. Here’s how:
- Mix equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture inside the dishwasher. Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Afterward, use a soft scrub brush to scrub the interior of the dishwasher.
- Run the dishwasher in its hottest cycle to rinse out any remaining vinegar.
Baking Soda As A Cleanser For Your Whirlpool Dishwasher
Baking soda is an eco-friendly and natural cleaner that can be used to clean your whirlpool dishwasher. Here’s how:
- Sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher.
- Run it in its hottest cycle to dissolve the baking soda and remove any odor.
- You can also mix baking soda and water to form a paste. Apply it to the interior of the dishwasher and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with water afterward.
Lemon Juice As A Cleanser For Your Whirlpool Dishwasher
Lemon juice is an acidic natural cleaner that can be used to clean your whirlpool dishwasher. Here’s how:
- Cut a lemon in half, squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl of water.
- Dip a soft scrub brush into the mixture, then scrub the interior of the dishwasher.
- Let the solution sit for 15 minutes before running the dishwasher in its hottest cycle.
Natural alternatives to chemical cleaners can help keep your whirlpool dishwasher clean without damaging it or the environment. Follow the above steps for a naturally clean dishwasher and avoid the harsh chemical cleaners available in the market.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
Cleaning dishes becomes a tiring task, which is why dishwashers are of great help. They save time and effort. However, what do you do when you encounter a problem with your whirlpool dishwasher? No need to worry, as we have got you covered.
In this blog post, we will explore troubleshooting common issues that arise with your whirlpool dishwasher.
Identifying Common Issues With Your Whirlpool Dishwasher
Before we dive into the method of troubleshooting common issues with your whirlpool dishwasher, it is essential to identify them. Here are the most common ones:
- Dishwasher is not cleaning dishes properly
- Dishwasher smells bad
- Dishwasher is making strange noises
Steps To Fix Common Issues
Each issue will have a brief explanation before we dive into the troubleshooting steps.
Issue 1: Dishwasher Is Not Cleaning Dishes Properly
The purpose of your dishwasher is to clean dishes without manual labor. When it starts to malfunction, cleaning dishes can become a struggle. The most common reason for this issue is because of a blockage in the dishwasher spray arm.
The troubleshooting steps for this issue include:
- Ensure that the spray arm is free of debris and food particles by cleaning it
- Unblock the holes on the spray arm using a toothpick
- Run the dishwasher again to check if the problem persists
Issue 2: Dishwasher Smells Bad
Due to frequent usage, your dishwasher might face the issue of having a foul smell. Food particles can also get trapped in the machine, leading to a less than pleasant odor.
The troubleshooting steps for this issue include:
- Ensure that the filters are cleaned
- Mix vinegar and baking soda then pour the solution into a dishwasher-safe glass before setting it inside the dishwasher. Run a normal cycle to remove any unpleasant smells
- Clean the interior of the dishwasher
Issue 3: Dishwasher Is Making Strange Noises
Your dishwasher is designed to function silently or produce minimum sound while operating. If you hear strange noises, it is a sign that something is wrong.
The troubleshooting steps for this issue include:
- Check if any item is obstructing the spray arm or not
- Tighten any loose parts of the dishwasher, including the hoses and screws, if there are any
- If the noise persists, consider professional repair services
When To Consider Professional Repair Services
Sometimes, despite your best efforts to troubleshoot the issue, the problem persists. In such cases, it is wise to seek professional help from an expert. When you start to hear unusual sounds or notice a significant drop in the dishwasher’s performance, you should consider calling a professional to fix the issue.
Maintaining a whirlpool dishwasher can be hassle-free if you follow the steps mentioned in this post. Cleaning the dishwasher regularly minimizes the chances of encountering common issues. Following the solutions we have provided will help you resolve the problems with ease.
Frequently Asked Questions On How To Clean A Whirlpool Dishwasher?
How Often Should I Clean My Whirlpool Dishwasher?
To maintain a whirlpool dishwasher, clean it monthly or whenever you notice dirt buildup.
What Materials Do I Need To Clean A Whirlpool Dishwasher?
You’ll need a soft cloth, toothbrush, white vinegar, and baking soda to clean your whirlpool dishwasher.
Can I Clean My Whirlpool Dishwasher With Bleach?
Yes, bleach can clean a dishwasher, but only use it as an alternative to white vinegar in small amounts.
Is It Safe To Run The Dishwasher As A Cleaning Mechanism?
Yes, but only if empty. You can run your dishwasher with vinegar or bleach to clean it.
Can I Use Regular Soap To Clean My Whirlpool Dishwasher?
No, regular dish soap will create excessive suds and damage your dishwasher. Use white vinegar and baking soda instead.
As you can see, cleaning your whirlpool dishwasher is not a daunting task if you follow the right steps. By cleaning the dishwasher regularly, you can ensure its longevity and optimal performance. Remember to inspect and clean the filter, spray arms, and interior of the dishwasher every few weeks.
Additionally, don’t forget to use the right cleaning agent and avoid overloading the dishwasher. By taking these steps, you can enjoy sparkling clean dishes without any foul odors or residue. So, go ahead and give your dishwasher the care it deserves, and it will reward you with its efficient and dependable service.
About Author (Marjorie R. Rogers)
The inspiring mum of 6 who dedicates her time to supporting others. While battling with her own demons she continues to be the voice for others unable to speak out. Mental illness almost destroyed her, yet here she is fighting back and teaching you all the things she has learned along the way. Get Started To Read …