October 17, 2023 by Marjorie R. Rogers, MA (English), Certified Consultant
Pet bedding and toys play a crucial role in maintaining a pet’s health, comfort, and overall well-being. Keeping them clean is essential for both the pet and their owners, ensuring a healthy living environment and a strong human-animal bond.
Regularly cleaned toys and bedding prevent the buildup of bacteria and parasites, and minimize the chances of oral and gastrointestinal infections among your pets. Moreover, regular cleaning and maintenance extend the lifespan of pet bedding and toys, saving pet owners money in the long run by reducing the need for frequent replacements.
So, here are some of the best practices for cleaning your pet’s bedding and toys.
Cleaning Pet Bedding
When it comes to cleaning pet bedding, a step-by-step process is essential to ensure thorough cleanliness and hygiene:
- Remove Covers: Start by removing any removable covers or pillowcases from the bedding.
- Shake Off Loose Debris: Take the bedding outside and shake it vigorously to remove loose debris, pet fur, and dirt.
- How to Laundry Pet Bedding:
a. Pre-treat Stains: Apply a pet-safe stain remover to any visible stains, following the product instructions.
b. Select Cleaning Agents: Use a mild, pet-safe detergent to clean the bedding. Avoid using harsh chemicals or strong fragrances that can irritate your pet’s skin or respiratory system.
c. Washing Instructions: Wash the bedding in a washing machine, following the care instructions provided by the manufacturer and using an appropriate water temperature (usually warm or hot). Ensure the cycle is long enough for thorough cleaning.
d. Drying: Tumble dry on a medium to high heat setting to eliminate any remaining germs and allergens.
However, there are some considerations when cleaning different types of pet bedding.
- Foam Beds: Spot clean foam beds with mild detergent and water, ensuring it’s thoroughly dried to prevent mold or mildew growth.
- Blankets: Wash blankets according to fabric care instructions, usually in a washing machine, and dry them thoroughly to prevent dampness.
- Pillows: If possible, choose pillows with removable covers for easier cleaning. Wash covers frequently and spot-clean the pillow itself.
Cleaning their Favorite Pet Toy
Regular cleaning of pet toys is vital in maintaining the health and well-being of both pets and their owners. Clean toys prevent the growth and spread of harmful bacteria, fungi, and other pathogens that can cause infections and illnesses in pets.
Not to mention, a clean toy ensures a longer lifespan, saving you money in the long run.
Pet toys come in various types, each requiring specific cleaning methods:
- Plush Toys: Plush toys should be spot-cleaned using a pet-safe stain remover or mild detergent. They can often be machine-washed on a gentle cycle and air-dried to prevent damage to the fabric and internal components.
- Rubber Toys: Rubber toys can be hand-cleaned with mild soap and warm water. Ensure thorough rinsing and air-drying before giving them back to the pet.
- Chew Toys: Chew toys made of hard materials can be cleaned by scrubbing with a brush and mild soap, then rinsing and air-drying. Avoid cleaning them in the dishwasher as high temperatures may damage the toy.
- Using dishwasher-safe toys: If a toy is labeled as dishwasher-safe, it can be placed in the dishwasher on a regular cycle without detergent. The heat and water pressure in the dishwasher will effectively clean and disinfect the toy.
- Using washing machine-safe toys: Toys designed for machine-washing should be placed in a pillowcase or mesh laundry bag before placing them in the washing machine. Use a mild detergent and wash on a gentle cycle, then air-dry thoroughly.
Promptly replace worn-out or damaged toys with new ones to maintain a safe play environment for the pet. Providing fresh and safe toys will continue to stimulate and entertain the pet while prioritizing their health and safety. So, regularly inspect them for wear and tear, and damages, and ensure they are still at an appropriate size.
Toys that are kept clean are more appealing to pets, encouraging them to engage with their toys and stay mentally stimulated, promoting a happier and healthier pet.
Is it Okay to Bring Pet Bedding and Toys to Laundry Shops?
Utilizing laundry shops for pet bedding and toy cleaning can be a convenient option for busy pet owners. However, these in-demand laundry services should offer pet-specific cleaning services. The professional handling and specialized equipment available at laundry shops can enhance the effectiveness of cleaning, providing a hygienic and fresh outcome for pet bedding and toys.
It is also important to ensure that the same-day laundry shop they choose uses pet-safe cleaning agents and practices to guarantee the well-being of their pets.
Always Maintain a Clean Environment for Pets
Maintaining clean pet bedding and toys is fundamental for promoting the health, happiness, and overall well-being of our beloved pets. A clean environment not only reduces the risk of health issues caused by bacteria, allergens, and dirt but also provides a comfortable and safe space for pets to rest and play.
We encourage pet owners to adopt these cleaning practices as part of their routine. Let’s create a cleaner and safer environment for our pets, promoting their longevity and enriching their quality of life. Whether it’s establishing a regular cleaning schedule for pet bedding or employing suitable cleaning methods for various types of toys, these efforts demonstrate our commitment to providing the best care for our furry companions.
About Author (Marjorie R. Rogers)
The inspiring mum of 6 who dedicates her time to supporting others. While battling with her own demons she continues to be the voice for others unable to speak out. Mental illness almost destroyed her, yet here she is fighting back and teaching you all the things she has learned along the way. Get Started To Read …