September 9, 2023 by Marjorie R. Rogers, MA (English), Certified Consultant
To clean sunglasses properly, gently wash the lenses with mild soap and warm water, then dry with a clean, lint-free cloth. Taking care of your sunglasses not only ensures a clear view, but also prolongs their lifespan.
Sunglasses tend to accumulate dirt, smudges, and oils from our hands and face, which can hinder their effectiveness and cause discomfort. Understanding the right way to clean your sunglasses will help maintain their clarity and protect your investment. Cleaning sunglasses is a simple process that can be done in a few easy steps.
By following the proper cleaning method, you can remove smudges, debris, and oils without scratching or damaging the lenses. In this article, we will discuss how to effectively clean sunglasses and provide some tips to keep them in optimal condition. So, let’s dive in and learn the best way to clean sunglasses the right way.
The Importance Of Properly Cleaning Sunglasses
Properly cleaning your sunglasses is essential to ensure their longevity and maintain clear vision when you wear them. The importance of cleaning your sunglasses cannot be overstated, as it not only helps protect your investment but also preserves the quality of the lenses.
In this section, we will explore why it is important to clean your sunglasses the right way and the benefits it brings. So let’s dive in!
Protecting Your Investment
- Regularly cleaning your sunglasses helps protect your investment by prolonging their lifespan.
- Removing dirt, dust, and smudges will prevent the accumulation of debris that can potentially damage the lenses or frame.
- By cleaning your sunglasses, you reduce the risk of scratches or other marks that can diminish the aesthetic appeal and value of your eyewear.
Maintaining Clear Vision
- Properly cleaning your sunglasses ensures that you maintain optimal vision while wearing them.
- Dust, fingerprints, and oils can accumulate on the lenses, obstructing your view and causing discomfort.
- Through regular cleaning, you can prevent the distorted vision that can occur when your lenses are dirty, allowing you to see clearly and enjoy a more enjoyable visual experience.
Preserving Lens Quality
- The quality of your sunglasses’ lenses is crucial for effective protection from harmful uv rays and enhanced visual clarity.
- Cleaning your lenses using the recommended methods helps preserve their quality and extends their lifespan.
- Avoiding harsh chemicals, abrasive materials, or improper cleaning techniques will prevent potential damage to the lenses, such as scratches or coatings wearing off.
Properly cleaning your sunglasses not only protects your investment but also ensures clear vision and preserved lens quality. Now that we understand the importance of cleaning our sunglasses the right way, let’s explore the step-by-step process to achieve optimal results.
Remember, a little care goes a long way in maintaining your beloved sunglasses and enjoying them for years to come.
Step-By-Step Guide To Cleaning Sunglasses
You’ve just splurged on a stylish pair of sunglasses, and now you want to make sure they stay clean and well-maintained for years to come. Cleaning your sunglasses may seem straightforward, but there is actually a proper way to do it to ensure their longevity.
In this step-by-step guide, we’ll walk you through the process of cleaning your sunglasses effectively and without damaging them. So gather your materials, grab your shades, and let’s get started!
Gathering The Right Materials
Before you embark on your sunglasses cleaning journey, it’s essential to have the right tools at hand. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Microfiber cloth: This gentle, lint-free fabric is perfect for wiping away dirt, grease, and smudges without scratching the lenses.
- Lens spray or mild dish soap: These cleaning solutions are specifically formulated to be safe for use on delicate lenses.
- Soft-bristled brush: Ideal for removing stubborn debris from the frame and hinges without causing any scratches.
Preparing Your Sunglasses For Cleaning
Proper preparation is key to ensuring a successful cleaning session for your sunglasses. Take the following steps before diving into the actual cleaning process:
- Remove any loose debris: Gently shake your sunglasses or use a soft-bristled brush to remove any surface debris like dust and dirt.
- Rinse with lukewarm water: Holding your sunglasses under lukewarm water will help remove any loose particles and prepare the lenses for cleaning.
- Handle with care: Always hold your sunglasses by the frames to avoid getting fingerprints or smudges on the lenses.
Cleaning The Lenses
The lenses are the most crucial part of your sunglasses, so it’s vital to clean them with care. Follow these steps for a spotless lens:
- Apply cleaning solution: If using lens spray, spray a small amount onto the lenses. If using mild dish soap, pour a drop onto your fingertips and lather it onto the lenses.
- Gently rub the lenses: Using your fingertips or a microfiber cloth, gently rub the lenses in circular motions to remove any smudges or dirt.
- Rinse with lukewarm water: Thoroughly rinse the lenses under lukewarm water to remove any soap residue or cleaning solution.
- Pat dry with a microfiber cloth: Gently pat the lenses dry using a clean microfiber cloth. Avoid using paper towels or rough fabrics that can potentially scratch the lenses.
Cleaning The Frame
While the lenses often take the spotlight, it’s essential not to neglect the frame of your sunglasses. Follow these steps to clean the frame properly:
- Wipe down the frame: Dampen a microfiber cloth with water or cleaning solution, depending on the level of dirt or stains on the frame.
- Gently scrub the frame: Use the cloth to gently scrub away any dirt, sweat, or makeup residue from the frame and hinges.
- Pay attention to small crevices: Utilize a soft-bristled brush to remove any buildup in hard-to-reach areas like hinges and nose pads.
Drying And Polishing
Once you’ve completed the cleaning process, it’s crucial to let your sunglasses dry properly and give them a final polish. Follow these steps:
- Air dry: Set your sunglasses on a clean, dry surface to allow them to air dry completely. Avoid using heat sources, as they can damage the lenses or frame.
- Final polish: Once dry, give your sunglasses a final polish with a clean microfiber cloth to remove any remaining smudges or streaks.
Now that you know the proper way to clean your sunglasses, maintaining their clarity and longevity will become a breeze. Remember to regularly clean your shades using this step-by-step guide to keep them looking brand new and ready to shield your eyes from the sun’s rays.
Avoiding Common Mistakes
When it comes to cleaning your sunglasses, it’s important to avoid a few common mistakes that can damage the lenses or frames. By following these tips, you’ll be able to clean your sunglasses properly and keep them looking their best:
- Using the wrong cleaning solutions: Avoid using harsh chemicals or household cleaners to clean your sunglasses. These can strip away the protective coatings on the lenses and damage them over time. Instead, opt for a lens cleaner specifically designed for sunglasses, or simply use mild soap and water.
- Using abrasive materials: It’s important to use soft, non-abrasive materials when cleaning your sunglasses. Avoid using paper towels, tissues, or rough cloths, as they can scratch the lenses. Instead, use a microfiber cleaning cloth or a lens cleaning wipe.
- Applying excessive pressure: Although it may be tempting to use force when cleaning stubborn smudges or fingerprints, applying excessive pressure can cause the lenses to crack or distort. Instead, gently wipe the lenses in a circular motion using light pressure. If there are stubborn smudges, try soaking the sunglasses in warm, soapy water for a few minutes before gently wiping them clean.
- Neglecting the frame: While cleaning the lenses is important, don’t forget to give some attention to the frame as well. Use a soft cloth or a toothbrush to remove any dirt or debris that may have accumulated on the frame. If necessary, you can also use a mild soap and water solution to clean the frame, but avoid getting the lenses wet.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you’ll be able to clean your sunglasses the proper way, ensuring their longevity and keeping them looking their best. So next time you reach for that cleaning cloth, remember to use the right solutions, gentle materials, and a light touch to maintain the clarity and shine of your sunglasses.
Tips For Proper Sunglass Maintenance
Sunglasses are an essential accessory for many people, offering protection and style all at once. However, it’s important to take proper care of your sunglasses to ensure that they last and continue to provide optimal performance. In this section, we will discuss some useful tips for maintaining your sunglasses in the best possible way.
Follow these guidelines to keep your shades clean, functional, and looking great for years to come.
Storing Sunglasses Safely
- Use a sturdy sunglass case or protective pouch to store your sunglasses when they are not in use.
- Avoid placing your sunglasses on any surfaces without protection to prevent scratches or damage.
- Keep your sunglasses away from extreme temperatures, as excessive heat or cold can warp the frames or lens coatings.
- When not wearing your sunglasses, ensure that they are stored in a safe place where they won’t get accidentally crushed or stepped on.
Regularly Checking For Damage
- Inspect your sunglasses regularly for any signs of damage such as loose screws, worn-out hinges, or cracked frames.
- If you notice any issues, it’s best to address them promptly to prevent further damage or potential harm to your eyes.
- Regularly clean your sunglasses to remove dirt, oils, and smudges that can obstruct your vision and compromise the clarity of the lenses.
Protecting From Extreme Conditions
- Avoid leaving your sunglasses exposed to prolonged sunlight, especially when not being used. Direct sunlight can cause fading and degradation of the lenses over time.
- If you live in an area with high humidity, consider using an anti-fog solution or wipes to prevent fogging on the lenses during temperature changes.
- When participating in water activities or sports, use a floating strap to secure your sunglasses and prevent them from sinking or getting lost.
Getting Professional Maintenance
- If your sunglasses require repairs or adjustments beyond your capabilities, it is advisable to seek professional assistance from an optical store or eyewear specialist.
- Opticians can tighten loose hinges, replace damaged nose pads, and perform other necessary repairs to prolong the life of your sunglasses.
- Regularly visit an optician for lens cleaning, inspection, and to ensure that your prescription sunglasses are still suitable for your eyesight.
By following these tips for proper sunglass maintenance, you can keep your favorite shades in pristine condition and enjoy optimal vision. Take care of your sunglasses, and they will not only protect your eyes but also become a lasting fashion statement.
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Clean Sunglasses The Proper Way?
How Often Should Sunglasses Be Cleaned?
Sunglasses should be cleaned at least once a week to remove dirt, smudges, and oils for optimal vision.
What Is The Best Way To Clean Sunglasses?
The best way to clean sunglasses is by using a mild soap, warm water, and a microfiber cloth to gently remove dirt and smudges.
Can I Use Household Cleaning Products To Clean My Sunglasses?
No, it is not recommended to use household cleaning products as they can damage the lens coatings and frames of your sunglasses.
Is It Safe To Clean Sunglasses With Tissue Or Paper Towels?
No, using tissue or paper towels can scratch the lenses of your sunglasses. It is best to use a microfiber cloth specifically designed for cleaning glasses.
How Can I Prevent Scratches On My Sunglasses?
To prevent scratches, always store your sunglasses in a protective case when not in use and avoid placing them on rough surfaces or in your pocket without a case.
To sum up, maintaining clean sunglasses is essential for optimal vision and longevity of your eyewear. By following these simple yet effective cleaning techniques, you can keep your sunglasses spotless and scratch-free. Remember to use a microfiber cloth or lens cleaning solution to gently remove dirt and smudges.
Avoid using household cleaners or rough materials that can cause damage. Also, store your sunglasses in a protective case when not in use to prevent scratches or breakage. Regularly cleaning your sunglasses, especially after exposure to saltwater or sweat, will help preserve their clarity and functionality.
By taking the time to properly clean your sunglasses, you’ll ensure that they remain in top condition, providing clear vision and protecting your eyes from harmful uv rays. Remember, clear lenses equal clear vision!
About Author (Marjorie R. Rogers)
The inspiring mum of 6 who dedicates her time to supporting others. While battling with her own demons she continues to be the voice for others unable to speak out. Mental illness almost destroyed her, yet here she is fighting back and teaching you all the things she has learned along the way. Get Started To Read …