January 14, 2023 by Marjorie R. Rogers, MA (English), Certified Consultant
Decoupage is a great arts and crafts activity to do with your kids. It’s easy to do and can be done with materials you likely already have around the house. Plus, it’s a great way to let your kids be creative and have fun!
To decoupage, start by gathering some old magazines or newspapers, scissors, glue, and a piece of wood or cardboard. Have your kids cut out images from the magazines that they like. Then, help them glue the images onto the wood or cardboard.
Once the glue is dry, you can seal everything with a layer of clear varnish. Your kids will love their new artwork, and you’ll love how easy it was to make!
Can Kids Do Decoupage?
Decoupage is a great activity for kids! It’s easy to do, and it’s a lot of fun. Plus, it’s a great way to recycle old newspapers or magazines. Here’s what you need to know to get started: What is decoupage? Decoupage is the art of decorating surfaces with paper cutouts, read more here.
The word “decoupage” comes from the French word découper, which means “to cut out.” What do you need to do to decoupage? All you need is some glue, scissors, and paper.
You can use any kind of paper you like – construction paper, tissue paper, or even old newspapers or magazines. Just make sure the paper is thin enough that it will glue down smoothly. How do you do decoupage?
First, decide what design you want to create. Then cut out your paper shapes and glue them onto your surface. You can use any kind of glue – white glue, Mod Podge, or even spray adhesive. Once your design is complete, let it dry completely before sealing it with a clear sealer such as varnish or polyurethane. That’s it! Your decoupaged surface is now ready to enjoy.
How Do You Decoupage for Beginners?
If you’re looking to add a personal touch to your home décor, decoupage is a great option! Decoupage is the art of decorating an object with glued-on paper cutouts. It’s a simple technique that anyone can do, and it’s a great way to give new life to old items.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to decoupage for beginners:
- Choose your project: Decoupage can be done on just about any type of material, including wood, glass, metal, plastic, and fabric. Pick something that you’ll enjoy working on and that fits your skill level.
- Gather your supplies: In addition to your chosen project piece, you’ll need scissors or an x-acto knife, glue (mod podge is a popular option), foam brushes, and pretty paper or fabric scraps. You may also want to seal your finished project with a clear coat of varnish or sealer.
- Cut out your images: This is the fun part! Carefully cut out the images you’ve chosen for your project. If you’re using thin paper, you may want to use an x-acto knife rather than scissors so that you get clean edges.
- Begin gluing down your images: Start by applying glue to one small section at a time and then attach your image cutouts. Be sure to smooth out any bubbles as you go. Once all of your images are in place, allow the glue to dry completely.
- Seal the deal: To protect your work and ensure that it will last, apply a layer of clear sealer over the entire surface. Allow this to dry completely before using or displaying your newly decoupaged item!
Decoupage is a great activity to do with your kids for arts and crafts. It’s easy to do and you can use any kind of paper or fabric to decoupage. You can decoupage on wood, glass, metal, or even plastic.
Just about anything that you can glue down will work. Decoupage is also a great way to recycle old newspapers or magazines. You can find decoupage supplies at your local craft store.
About Author (Marjorie R. Rogers)
The inspiring mum of 6 who dedicates her time to supporting others. While battling with her own demons she continues to be the voice for others unable to speak out. Mental illness almost destroyed her, yet here she is fighting back and teaching you all the things she has learned along the way. Get Started To Read …