May 6, 2023 by Marjorie R. Rogers, MA (English), Certified Consultant
No, you cannot get pregnant with hernia mesh. The hernia mesh is inserted into the abdomen via a surgical procedure and does not interfere with any reproductive organs or hormones, so it should not affect your ability to conceive. However, if there are any complications from the hernia surgery that affects fertility then it may be possible for pregnancy to occur.
It is important to discuss this possibility with your doctor prior to undergoing the procedure in order to understand all of the risks involved.
- Visit Your Doctor: Before trying to get pregnant, it is important to visit your doctor and discuss any medical conditions you may have that could affect a successful pregnancy
- If you have hernia mesh, the doctor should be able to tell you if it is safe for you to become pregnant or not
- Make Necessary Lifestyle Changes: To improve your chances of getting pregnant with hernia mesh, make sure that you are following a healthy lifestyle prior to conception
- This includes eating a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables, exercising regularly and managing stress levels through relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation
- Take Supplements: Taking prenatal vitamins can increase fertility by providing nutrients needed for ovulation and supporting reproductive health overall
- Folate is especially important for preventing birth defects so make sure your prenatal vitamin contains at least 400 micrograms of folic acid per day before conceiving with hernia mesh in place
- Avoid Activities That Could Damage The Mesh: Some activities such as heavy lifting or strenuous exercise can put additional strain on the abdomen where the hernia mesh is located which could cause damage to the implant over time leading up to conception or during pregnancy itself
- It’s best avoided while trying naturally conceive with hernia mesh in order to minimize risk of complications later down the line once baby has arrived
ASK UNMC! Ive had a hernia repaired & am now pregnant. Are there complications I should be aware of?
Can You Have a Baby With an Abdominal Mesh?
Yes, it is possible to have a baby with an abdominal mesh. While the presence of abdominal mesh does not make pregnancy impossible, it can increase the risk for certain complications such as preterm birth and premature rupture of membranes. It can also cause pain or discomfort due to increased pressure on the mesh during pregnancy.
Women who are pregnant with an abdominal mesh should be closely monitored by their doctor throughout their pregnancy in order to reduce the risks associated with this condition. For those considering having a baby while living with an abdominal mesh, consulting your doctor is essential so that you can understand all potential risks involved and find ways to minimize them.
Can Pregnancy Affect Hernia Mesh?
Yes, pregnancy can affect hernia mesh. During pregnancy, the body experiences a number of changes which can put extra strain on the abdominal wall and lead to an increase in pressure within it. This increased pressure can cause or worsen a hernia, even if there is already mesh present.
In addition, during childbirth, straining from contractions may also weaken the abdominal wall further and increase the chance of a hernia forming or becoming worse if one was pre-existing. For this reason, pregnant women who have been fitted with hernia mesh are advised to closely monitor their abdomen for any signs of pain or discomfort that could signal a possible worsening of their condition.
Can Hernia Mesh Cause Infertility?
It is possible that hernia mesh can cause infertility but there is not enough research to confirm a definitive link. Hernia mesh can be placed through the abdominal wall and into the reproductive organs, which could theoretically disrupt normal functioning of these organs and lead to infertility. However, most studies suggest that when placed correctly, hernia mesh does not pose an increased risk for fertility problems in either men or women.
It is important for anyone considering having hernia repair surgery to consult closely with their doctor about any potential risks related to fertility so they may make an informed decision about whether this procedure is right for them.
Can a Hernia Stop You from Having a Baby?
No, a hernia cannot stop you from having a baby. In fact, many women have successful pregnancies and deliveries despite having hernias. However, depending on the type of hernia you have, your doctor may recommend making some lifestyle changes in order to reduce the risk associated with pregnancy.
For example, if you have an inguinal hernia (which is located in the groin area), your doctor may suggest that you avoid heavy lifting or straining during pregnancy to prevent further damage or discomfort. Additionally, it’s important for pregnant women who are suffering from any kind of hernia to be monitored closely by their doctors throughout prenatal care and delivery so that any potential complications can be identified early and managed properly.
How Long After Hernia Surgery Can I Get Pregnant
It is generally safe to get pregnant after hernia surgery, however it is best to wait at least 6 months after the procedure before trying. This allows your body enough time to recover and heal from the surgery while reducing any risk of complications during pregnancy. Additionally, be sure to discuss with your doctor prior to getting pregnant so that they can provide you with individualized advice and guidance on how best to manage your hernia-related risks during pregnancy.
In conclusion, it is possible to get pregnant while having hernia mesh. However, the risks associated with a hernia mesh pregnancy should be evaluated and discussed with a medical professional before attempting to conceive. Additionally, if you have any concerns or questions about getting pregnant after hernia repair surgery, it is important to speak to your doctor in order for them to provide advice on how best to proceed.
About Author (Marjorie R. Rogers)
The inspiring mum of 6 who dedicates her time to supporting others. While battling with her own demons she continues to be the voice for others unable to speak out. Mental illness almost destroyed her, yet here she is fighting back and teaching you all the things she has learned along the way. Get Started To Read …