Can A Green Card Holder Invite Parents To Visit?

Yes, a green card holder can invite their parents to visit the us. However, there are some requirements and documentation that must be provided for the visa application.

To invite parents to visit the us, a green card holder must first file form i-130 for their parents to become permanent residents. The processing time for this application can take several months. Once the application is approved, the parents can apply for a visitor visa or obtain a green card themselves.

It’s important to note that the visitor visa does not allow the parent to work while in the us, and they must return to their home country before their authorized stay expires. Ensuring that all necessary steps are taken before inviting parents to visit can make the process smoother and avoid any potential issues.

Can A Green Card Holder Invite Parents To Visit?


Understanding The Eligibility Criteria For Parental Visas

Overview Of The Different Types Of Parental Visas

If you are a green card holder looking to bring your parents to the us, you should know that there are two types of parental visas available:

  • B-2 visitor visas
  • Green card sponsorship

A b-2 visitor visa allows parents to visit for up to 6 months, while a green card sponsorship can give them permanent resident status. Both visas have their own specific requirements for eligibility.

Examining The Qualifications For Eligibility

To bring your parents to the us on a b-2 visitor visa, they must meet certain qualifications, including:

  • Having a residence outside the us that they do not wish to abandon
  • Proving they have strong ties to their home country, such as employment or property
  • Demonstrating they have the financial means to support themselves during their stay
  • Providing evidence of their intent to return home after the visit

For green card sponsorship, there are different eligibility requirements, including:

  • The sponsoring child must be at least 21 years old
  • The sponsoring child must have a green card or be a us citizen
  • The parent must not be inadmissible, which means they have not violated immigration laws or committed certain crimes
  • The sponsoring child must meet certain income requirements to ensure they can financially support their parents

Requirements For Supporting Documents

Regardless of which type of parental visa you choose, you will need to provide supporting documents to prove eligibility. These documents may include:

  • Proof of parent-child relationship
  • Evidence of the parent’s ties to their home country
  • Financial documentation to prove the ability to support the parent
  • A written invitation from you, the green card holder

It’s essential to ensure that all documents are accurate, translated into english if necessary, and submitted in a timely manner to avoid processing delays.

Understanding The Role Of Financial Support

Financial support is a crucial factor when it comes to bringing parents to the us. For b-2 visitor visas, parents must prove they have the means to support themselves during their stay. For green card sponsorship, the sponsoring child must meet specific income requirements to ensure they can financially support their parents.

In addition to income requirements, a form i-864 affidavit of support must be filed to show that financial support will be provided. The sponsor may also need to provide evidence of assets and savings if their income does not meet the minimum requirements.

Bringing your parents to the us can be a lengthy and complex process, but with careful planning and attention to detail, it can be achieved. By understanding the eligibility criteria and requirements for supporting documents, you’ll be better equipped to navigate the process and ensure a successful outcome.

Step By Step Guide To Applying For Parental Visas

Can a green card holder invite parents to visit? Step by step guide to applying for parental visas

If you are a green card holder in the united states, you may be wondering if you can invite your parents to visit you. The good news is that green card holders can sponsor their parents for a us visa.

We will discuss the step-by-step guide to applying for parental visas.

Preparing The Application Package

Before you begin the application process, it is essential to prepare a complete application package. Here are the necessary documents you will need to apply for a parental visa:

  • A duly completed form i-130, petition for alien relative.
  • Proof of your status as a green card holder.
  • Your birth certificate, to prove your relationship to your parents.
  • Your parents’ birth certificates.
  • Your parents’ marriage certificate, if applicable.
  • A copy of your parents’ passport.
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs of your parents.
  • Affidavit of support, form i-864.
  • Medical examination report, form i-693.

Understanding The Timeline For Processing

The timeline for processing a parental visa application can vary and depends on several factors, including the embassy’s workload and your parents’ country of origin. On average, the processing time ranges from six months to a year. After your petition is approved, your parents will receive instructions on how to apply for a visa, and they will attend an interview at the us embassy or consulate in their home country.

Tips For Completing The Application Process Effectively

To ensure your application process goes smoothly, you should follow the tips below:

  • Fill out all necessary forms accurately and completely to avoid delays.
  • Submit all required documents along with the application.
  • Keep copies of the application and supporting documents for your records.
  • Attend the interview appointment with your parents and provide any additional information or documents requested.

Factors That Can Affect The Approval Process

Several factors can affect the visa approval process, including your parents’ criminal history, immigration violations, or prior visa rejections. These factors can lead to the denial of your application. Additionally, the embassy may require additional information or documents, which can further delay the approval process.

As a green card holder, you are eligible to sponsor your parents for a us visa. By following the step-by-step guide and preparing a complete application package, your parents can increase their chances of obtaining a visa to visit you in the united states.

Frequently Asked Questions Of Can A Green Card Holder Invite Parents To Visit?

Can A Green Card Holder Invite Their Parents To Visit The Us?

Yes, a green card holder can invite their parents to visit the us.

How Long Can The Parents Of A Green Card Holder Stay In The Us?

Parents of a green card holder can stay in the us for up to 6 months.

Does A Green Card Holder Need To Provide Financial Support To Their Visiting Parents?

Yes, a green card holder needs to provide financial support to their visiting parents.

Can A Green Card Holder Apply For A Visitor Visa For Their Parents Instead Of Inviting Them To Visit?

Yes, but it may be more difficult to obtain a visitor visa than an invitation letter.

What Documents Are Needed For Parents Of A Green Card Holder To Visit?

Parents of a green card holder need a valid passport, invitation letter, and proof of financial support.


As a green card holder, you have the opportunity to invite your parents to visit the united states. However, it is important to understand the different visa options available and the requirements that must be met. It is highly recommended to plan ahead and seek the guidance of a legal professional to ensure a smooth application process.

Providing detailed information about your financial support, accommodations, and itinerary can strengthen your application and increase the chances of approval. Remember, having your loved ones visit you in the us can be a rewarding experience for both parties, but the process requires patience and proper preparation.

As you navigate through the process, always stay informed and follow all regulations to avoid any complications in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Related Posts