April 3, 2023 by Marjorie R. Rogers, MA (English), Certified Consultant
Yes, you can eat Subway tuna while pregnant. However, it is important to take certain precautions when consuming any type of seafood during pregnancy. It’s best to limit your intake of canned tuna to 12 ounces per week and ensure that the fish has been properly cooked in order to avoid potential risks associated with undercooked or raw seafood such as listeria.
Additionally, make sure that the sandwich is made with freshly prepared tuna and not one that has been sitting out for a long time due to potential bacterial growth. Lastly, opt for low-mercury varieties like skipjack or tongol when possible since mercury levels tend to be higher in albacore tuna. Following these recommendations will help keep both you and your baby safe and healthy!
- Read the package label: Before eating any Subway tuna sandwich, read the label to make sure it is safe for pregnant women to consume
- The USDA recommends that only commercially prepared and canned tuna be consumed by pregnant women due to potential health risks from fish caught in the wild with high levels of mercury
- Check expiration date: Make sure that the Subway tuna sandwich you are about to eat has not expired
- Expired meats can contain dangerous bacteria and should not be consumed while pregnant as they may cause foodborne illnesses or infections
- Eat only fully cooked products: According to current guidelines, all meat products must be cooked fully before being eaten during pregnancy in order to reduce risk of food poisoning and other complications related with consuming raw or undercooked proteins like sushi grade fish or eggs
- Therefore, when ordering a Subway tuna sandwich make sure that it is thoroughly heated before consumption, so there are no chances of getting infected by anything harmful present on its surface or internal parts like parasites which could cause harm if ingested by a pregnant woman unknowingly
- 4 Enjoy your meal!: Once you have checked all safety conditions regarding your Subway Tuna Sandwich, enjoy your meal!
What I Eat While Pregnant | Food Ideas for Busy Moms
Is Tuna from Subway Okay When Pregnant?
Yes, tuna from Subway is generally considered safe for pregnant women to eat. However, it is important to be aware of the potential risks associated with consuming large amounts of mercury-containing fish such as tuna. To reduce this risk, pregnant women should limit their intake of tuna and opt for low-mercury alternatives such as salmon or tilapia instead.
Additionally, the U.S Food & Drug Administration recommends that pregnant women avoid eating raw or undercooked seafood in order to reduce the risk of food poisoning. Therefore, it’s best to ensure that any tuna served at Subway has been thoroughly cooked before consumption while pregnant.
What Can You Eat from Subway When Pregnant?
When pregnant, you can still enjoy Subway sandwiches by opting for options with lean proteins and vegetables. Choose a sandwich featuring deli meats such as turkey, ham or roast beef that have been heated to steaming hot temperatures in order to reduce any potential risk of listeria. Avoid cold cuts like salami and bologna which may contain Listeria bacteria due to the curing process.
Additionally, stick with low-fat cheese options like Swiss or Monterey Cheddar and top your sandwich off with lots of healthy veggies such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers or cucumbers. If possible try not too load up on condiments like mayonnaise or mustard since they are high in sodium content; instead opt for oil & vinegar dressing for added flavor without the extra salt content.
Is It Ok to Eat a Tuna Sandwich While Pregnant?
Yes, it is considered safe to eat a tuna sandwich while pregnant. However, since tuna contains high levels of mercury, which can harm the development of an unborn baby’s nervous system, it is important to limit consumption. It is recommended that pregnant women consume no more than 6 ounces (170 grams) of canned light tuna per week and avoid eating albacore or white tuna altogether.
Eating a small amount of cooked fresh or frozen tuna in a sandwich once in awhile should be fine as long as you are aware that larger amounts may not be safe for your unborn child.
Can I Eat Subway While Pregnant If I Get It Toasted
Yes, you can eat Subway while pregnant if you get it toasted. Toasting your sandwich helps reduce the risk of bacterial contamination since it is cooked at a higher temperature than what’s normally used for cold sandwiches. Additionally, make sure that the ingredients are well-cooked and that all vegetables and dressings are fresh before eating them.
Overall, Subway tuna is generally considered safe to eat while pregnant. Pregnant women should ensure that the fish is fully cooked and minimize their risk of food-borne illness by opting for freshly prepared option. Additionally, pregnant women should limit their consumption of Subway tuna to no more than twice a week and make sure it does not exceed 12 ounces in total each week.
Following these guidelines can help reduce exposure to pollutants like mercury and PCBs which can be harmful during pregnancy.
About Author (Marjorie R. Rogers)
The inspiring mum of 6 who dedicates her time to supporting others. While battling with her own demons she continues to be the voice for others unable to speak out. Mental illness almost destroyed her, yet here she is fighting back and teaching you all the things she has learned along the way. Get Started To Read …