|Grasshopper Paper Tube Craft|
Classified: Medium and is best suited for 4 and up.
What you need:
- Toilet Paper Tube
- Green Paint
- Green construction paper
- Green pipe cleaners
- Optional: Glue gun
Vocabulary: Grasshopper, herbivore, sculpture, monochromatic
What to do:
1. Preparation: Cut the ends of the paper tubes as seen in the photo below. Cut two 4" pieces out of green pipe cleaner for the hind legs, two 3" pieces for his front legs and two 2" pieces for the middle legs. Draw wings and a head on green construction paper. If your preschooler is old enough, have them cut out these pieces herself.
|Cut angles into the paper tube|
2.. Discuss with your preschooler facts about a grasshopper. Show photos, read books, or go on a live "grasshopper hunt."
3. Paint the paper tube and set aside to dry.
|Paint inside and out.|
4. While the paper tube is drying, draw a face onto the grasshopper's head and cut out the wings.
|Happy vs. Sad Grasshopper!|
5. Once the painted tube is dry, glue in the grasshopper legs as shown. **Note: I used a hot glue gun here for an extra hold. It is not necessarily needed and should only be done by an adult! ***
|Glue on legs as shown|
6. Glue the face to the front of the tube and the wings to the sides.
7. Allow all pieces to dry.
|My son turns everything into a puppet!|
8. Bend legs into place and enjoy.
I am linking to these parties