|I think I am so tough. It's only because my biggest competitors are 4 and 2 and they are too little to lift 10 pounds of weight!|
I love exercising. It is just one of those things in life that makes me happy (other than my family). I have been a huge exercise guru since the ripe age of 15 when I purchased my first set of weights and worked out to the video Buns of Steel (sorry had to fix link and repost)! Ever since, I have joined a gym (which my membership has been put on hold due to my family) and worked out with a trainer, participated in numerous exercise classes and videos, and have built a mini-gym in my basement. Today's Top Ten is a list of my top favorite exercises:
10. Van Halen sang about it, Kris Kross made you wanna- yes that's it: jumping. Jumping is a great exercise that burns calories fast and requires no gym equipment to do. My kids think I am nuts because I often jump here and there throughout the day to try to burn some extra calories. Whether it's jumping jacks, on a trampoline, or just out of plain fun- jumping is great exercise!
9. Mr. Billy Blanks really got my interest back into squats when I did his Cardio Circuit 1 video where he went into a squat and then kicked out with his leg (on each squat you switch legs). Not only are you toning your bottom half (which I need because I am your straight-up pear shape), it also incorporates balance and strength as well.
8. "The Twist" I have seen both Billy and Jillian Michaels add this simple move to their workout videos- and let me tell you first hand- it really works. "The Twist" is basically aerobics for the middle. To do "The Twist", you: Stand with your bottom in a squatting position, your feet firm and planted on the ground, and twist your waist back and forth! Add some punches and upper-cuts for a more powerful abs workout!!!
7. I am a girl who likes a challenge. Grab two dumb bells or a weight bar with an appropriate amount of weight; stand in a lounge position with your dumb bells/weight bar over your shoulders. At the same time lounge and complete a shoulder press. Do 10-12 reps 3x each leg. Wow- talk about a workout!
6. Get a sturdy chair or weight bench for this exercise. (I got this one from Fitness Magazine) Stand facing the side of the chair and or weight bench, and step up using one leg. To make it more of a challenge, when up on the bench/chair DO NOT rest your other leg down. Complete 15 reps 3x each leg and feel the burn. Oh and it's ok to hold on so you don't lose your balance!
5. Push-ups. There is nothing like going old school and back to basics with this one. Just make sure you are doing them correctly!
3. Bicycle crunches. I don't know what it is about this crunch, but I love it. Perhaps it's one that I don't get bored with. Lie on your back in a crunch position, raise your legs and peddle as if you were riding a bicycle. Simple, yet effective.
2. Want to confuse your body and burn some extra calories? Walk-jog-run. I remember when I first attempted to get into a running routine. I felt like such a fool because I could only run for so long before my body said “WALK!!!" Little did I know then that fitness guru's and experts now suggest aerobic activity that way. Try this: Walk for 5 minutes to warm up- run at your fastest pace for 2 minutes then jog for 3. Repeat. Mix it up and go with it!
1. The back of my arms jiggle like Santa Claus' belly. Some of it is genetics, and some of it I can control. Want to get to the control part fast? Try bench dips! Here is a video on haw to perform a correct bench dip!
What's Your Favorite Exercise????