|Love Bug Stuffed Toy made with fabric glue. My 4 year old helped me with this!|
Classified: Medium. There is a lot of drying time in between. This craft can be simplified for ages 8-11 by using fabric glue - or - you may make it into a sewing lesson with children 12 and up.
What You Need:
- 1 sheet of red felt
- 1 sheet of black felt
- 6 black and 2 white pom-poms
- 4 black pipe cleaners
- Fabric glue for the younger crowd
- Needle and red thread for older children
- Fabric Scissors
- Black fabric marker
Preparation: Cut out one large red heart and one large black heart (same size) out of the felt pieces. For the Love Bugs face: cut out a proportioned sized heart. Cut 3 black pipe cleaners in half for the legs.
What to do:
- Glue or sew the head onto the large red body according to the photo.
- Draw a line down the center with a black fabric marker to separate the Love Bug's wings.
- Glue (or sew) the six black pom-poms to the Love Bug's wings.
- For the eyes: trim off two 1/4 inch pieces of black pipe cleaners for the pupils and glue onto the white pom-poms. Glue (sew) the eyes onto the face.
- For antennae: trim two 1" pieces of black pipe cleaner, fold at the tip and glue onto the Love Bug's face.
- Arrange and glue the 6 legs onto the black heart. You do not have to wait for these to dry to move onto the next step.
- With fabric glue (or needle and thread) adhere 3/4 of the black heart to the bottom of the assembled red heart. You want to leave a spot open to fill the toy with stuffing.
- Allow to dry for 24 hours if using fabric glue.
- Stuff with stuffing. I used a pencil to really push the stuffing inside.
- Glue or sew the opening closed!