Classified: Medium and is great for children 5 and up! However, I did this craft with a 2, 3 and 4 year old and they had a blast with the exploration of painting with glue and glitter. It is also great sensory play (texture of feathers and glitter) for the youngsters. I would encourage older children to make a design with the glitter and feathers.
What you need:
- Download the free mask template here
- Yellow, green or purple (Mardi Gras Colors) foam sheets
- Yellow, green and purple feathers
- Yellow, green and purple glitter
- Yellow, green and purple beads
- Yellow, green or purple yarn
- Hole Puncher
- Optional: paintbrush to draw on glue
- Preparation: Trace the mask template onto the yellow, green or purple foam sheet and cut out. Prepare the materials so they are easy to use.
- Have your child design their own mask using the materials (feathers, glitter, beads, etc.) that they chose. Encourage them to use all of the decorations and create a design. Remember "It is the process, not the product" that is important here! So encourage creativity!
- Dry for 24 hours.
- Punch a hole on either side of the mask.
- Cut two 6 inch pieces of yarn and tie the end of one to each hole.
- To wear: place onto face so the eyes can see and tie together in the back of your child's head with the yarn.